Saturday 21 April 2012

Oui?

Delicacy

I entered the theatre knowing that it is a french show, but why is this romance-comedy name Delicacy? I went into the show not knowing anything about the show, what it was about, or even the genre of the show. I came out of it, STILL not knowing what the sorcery that made the almost-2-hours of my life so miserable that i would rather be looking at my phone than the show.

Yes i may be shallow and you can tell me that you have to be all artsy-fartsy to appreciate such foreign movie because it is very cultural for locals to be watching films of an alternate language. But i must truly say, HELL NO.

I have seen movies in German, French, Japanese, Korean (yes all with sub-titles), but none was this bad. At 45-minutes point, i looked at my watch, shifted my butt from the left to the right cheek, then back to the original position, triple-crossed my legs in hope to hide my anxiety (if triple-crossed legs even existed), looked at my watch, and let out a sigh. It was SO bad that even on medication, i couldn't bear sleeping in the theatre and wanted to leave, which i could if not for the fact that we were trapped at the far end from the aisle.

Now, basically the movie is about how a woman lost and found her love back again despite some obstacles. (is this even the message the movie is trying to put across?) A lot like a biography. Why would i spend 12 bucks to watch someone else's biography? Margaret Thatchet, YES, but Nathalie (starred by Audrey Tautou)? No.

Enough of the slamming. The fun part of the film is when you can try to pronounce every word that comes up at the start of the film as introduction and MAYBE get a little look-over from the french guy sitting next to you because of how weirdly ridiculous you sound trying to pull off the -au, -tres etc.

My friend and i were trying to guess what was going to happen next in the movie because i was remotely bored. Half the time throughout the show, we guessed that the female lead conjured her imaginary lover as someone to replace her husband who died in a car accident. Why? Because the friends and family's faces were horrified when they saw the lover. So naturally we thought they were thinking "why is she talking to the air?". Turns out, he is real. (yes i laughed so bad)

If you have spare cash to spend on a show just to spare time and this is your only option, give it to me. I'll tell you my life story.

If you truly truly love a french movie just because it is in french, don't watch it.

If you are, by now, being forced with a gun in your gut to go and see this show, bring a friend whom you can complain or talk to in the movie. Or someone who is willing to shoot you.

Merci beaucoup pour la lecture. (yes i googled.)
Oui?

2 comments:

  1. gee, you really didn't enjoy it huh? it's ok, some one's meat is another's poison.. i did not even know there is such a film.. audrey tautou somemore... the publicity must be very quiet...

    weetz

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't even know that this movie is around okay. and i doubt there is any publicity at all. Good actress but well. haha.

    ReplyDelete